Sunday, June 17, 2012

Gifted.

This year I had a truly amazing crop of Angel Potatoes.
On the first day of school, I had all of my classes create posters.
I asked them to answer two questions for me.
The first question was: What makes a person an Awesome Human Being?
The second question was: In a really crowded computer lab, what are some good ideas for working and playing well with others and the equipment?

As soon as I saw their work I knew I had me something special.




I showed them a picture of a Grumble Bunny before we did this activity. Here it is, the first day of school, and these kids were actually listening.

Leadership, Not Judgmental, Responsibility, Loyal, Smart, Funny, Common Sense, Patient, Initiative, Observant, Boldness, Kindness Courageous

Wouldn't it be something if all the adults in the world understood what these kids understand.

I took these pictures on the last day of school, because the posters were up around my room all year. 
I couldn't bear to take them down. I'm leaving them up for the summer.

A student gave me a shirt. She is an artist. Here is a detail of the front corner:
Add caption


I talk to and about the Mothership a lot.



This is me. She said she put a purple shirt on because she knows its my favorite color, and that she will always think of me laughing. This made me cry.

One of my girls grew this potato and decorated it.
Cards and pictures
Two of my boys helped me pack the books that I am bringing to the American Library Association Shindig this week. I want to get them autographed for the Angel Potatoes.

In so many ways this year was difficult.
But never, ever were days better or brighter than the days I spent in my classroom with these amazing human beings, who each day gave me hope, made me laugh, and taught me something.
One hundred and eighty-seven Angel Potatoes for one hundred and seventy-six days.
That's what I call gifted.

4 comments:

  1. That was such a wonderful post. I'm smiling having just finished reading it. And lucky you to have such awesome students.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know I don't always comment, but I love reading about your angel potatoes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post, Kristen. What a good idea to bring books to be autographed. It's good to remind readers that there's a human at the other end of the book. Enjoy your week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aww, I just love this! I want some of these shirts! Chocolate and hugs would definitely make more people a good human being! Love this and your energy! If you ever need anything, books or anything just let me know. :-)

    ReplyDelete