Sunday, June 24, 2012

Revolution: Book Signings and Why They Matter


Here is my schedule for today:

I get to meet cool people at this Coffee Klatsch. Andrew Smith said I needed to be there so be there I shall.
It's in the Royal Ballroom at the Hyatt or something.
I fear I may be woefully underdressed.
That, however, is not the point.
I am meeting people whose books or other work make or will make a difference to the lives of the Angel Potatoes and the Tater Tots(my middle school kids). This is a happiness.
And then I need to get books signed.
No one carries piles of books INTO the convention center, because you can buy them or get ARCs IN the convention center.
But I got grant money so I could buy books in advance so I could get them signed by the authors.
So I have piles that look like this everywhere:
And my mission is to get them ALL signed.
Thing is, the kids see autographed books--G.Neri's Yummy comes to mind--and they say stuff like, "Hey, this is autographed. Isn't this valuable?"
And other kids gather around and look.
And I tell them to take the books, and they do, and they may carry the book a little more carefully or not and that is okay.
Thing is, I think to myself, this writer took the time to sign it to you and you are valuable and priceless and books are to be read. So take the book, dear one. And know that you are seen and loved and celebrated.
I promised I would get all the books signed.
It matters.

5 comments:

  1. The thing that matters most is commitment like this! Way to go!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You truly are a special person. The Angel P's and Tater T's are super-duper lucky to have you. <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are a spectacular individual! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're wonderful. Fingers crossed that you got/will get every single book signed. :-D

    ReplyDelete
  5. You're not supposed to make us cry at work. But yes. This is awesome. You're lucky you live nearby, getting all those book on a plane would've been a hassle!

    ReplyDelete