Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Revolution Status May 2012. The Angel Potatoes and Book Posters.

You know, I pretty much have the best job in the world.
I get Hoped Up every day I teach.
And not because kids are perfect. Young people are people. They are frustrating and they give me gray hair and they make me laugh and they give me a little sorrow and double-handfuls of joy.
And they haven't given up on Possibilities.
They are Possibilities.
They inspire me.
Books and technology and creativity and communication.
Choices.
Revolution.
I am sharing some of the posters the kids have made about the books they have read. Part of the assignment was to work in a picture of the author, the cover of the book, the name of the author, and even the publisher if it could be managed, since creating a book is a team thing. They got images and made collages with pictures from The Google.
And I wanted a quote from the book that was important to them, or to the story, or had the music of the spheres, or all of the above.
That's pretty much the only direction I gave.
Giving only part of the genetic code of an assignment means that kids come up with their own code and I don't get clones. I get real stuff.
I get truth.
See.
Ashes by Ilsa Bick



Wintergirls by Laurie Halse Anderson












The Adventures of Tom Sawyer by Mark Twain













Vibes by Amy Kathleen Ryan


Dao Mu Ji Bi. Yes, I have a student who reads Chinese. And she loves this series. LOVES it. She wrote the author, too. I can't read it but she translated it for me and I bet the author will cry.












The Marbury Lens by Andrew Smith














Everybody Sees the Ants by A.S. King












Ghetto Cowboy by G. Neri

7 comments:

  1. These are really amazing! Thanks for sharing them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very creative. LOve your perspective on teaching. I'm sure you're quite an inspiration for your students. They are fortunate to have you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh wow, they did an amazing job. I love the Wintergirls one...great book, and very haunting adaptation.

    that's really awesome you have a student that reads Chinese. How fun!

    And I haven't read The Marbury Lens yet (i really want too) but your student did a great job. So wonderful.

    -lauren

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, Kristen. Dearest, KPF. This is the kind of thing I can only thank you for face to face. I will. I promise I'll make that happen.

    ReplyDelete